Friday 25 April 2008

Cuba at last

I think we are on the slowest connection in the universe, so no chance of a picture today.

Yes, I turned up two hours before the flight at Gatwick and bought a ticket at a reduced rate (not reduced enough for my liking, but you can't have it all).

I arrived in Havana after a somewhat bumpy ride in a near empty aircraft.Coming in to land was the thought provoking sight of a half burnt commercial airliner poking into the trees beyond the airport. Obviously we are not in a hurry to clear up this misfortune. Undaunted, I randomly found somewhere to stay - after blagging it on my visa form which I miraculously had to fill out myself (!) and found a bus to Trinidad where I eventually discovered my peculiar friend in all his rastafarian glory. Trinidad feels a bit like home. Food, weather, people - all as lovely as as I remember. I am staying (somewhat unofficially) with a friend of the dreadlocked one. Unfortunately no English so I am keeping very fit with massive use of semaphore and all related sign language. 'We' are renovating Trinidad for Fidel and our tongues remain firmly in our cheek. The mountains beckon.

No comments: