Thursday 14 October 2010

Humanity versus murder and theft

Some people have no rights - no country, no freedom to travel, no vote. Today I searched myself and realised the meaning of my own words printed on the left hand side of this blog. The various freedoms I have and often take for granted are nothing to me if others cannot share those freedoms. How can I flaunt my right to travel whilst so many - through no fault whatsoever of their own - have those rights forcibly witheld? How can I stand by and allow others to live in a man trap whilst I cavort across the globe? How can I sit back and allow my own government to aid and abet those who would steal and cheat and murder?

It doesn't matter what names we give these people. The past of these people is of little event because what is happening right here in the here and now is the greatest crime of my generation, and my generation are allowing this crime to be purpetuated because they are too damn lazy to do anything about it.

Daily I move among the kindest and most polite people I have ever met. People who are determined with all their hearts to carve the best education their circumstances permit. People not resigned to their fate of a third generation in the slums of exile, but prepared to strengthen their hand through goodwill and consideration for those who try to help them.

There are others who daily harass and torture children, who daily steal land which was never theirs, those who will kill a child without a thought and then kill another. It doesn't matter what their names are, what matters is that they do it - and that we should stop them doing it.

When the western world favours humanity over murder and theft we can be proud. If the western world favours murder and theft over humanity we should be damned. What is your position?

No comments: